Fair Trade in Tourism (FTT) is a non-profit organisation promoting best-practice responsible tourism in Africa. FTT grows awareness about responsible tourism in Africa and assist tourism businesses to operate more sustainably through their membership and certification programmes.
FTT awards the use of special label to qualifying businesses as a way of signifying their commitment to Fair Trade criteria including fair wages and working conditions, fair purchasing, fair operations, equitable distribution of benefits and respect for human rights, culture and environment.
By electing to stay at or use the services of an FTT-certified establishment, tourists are assured that their travel benefits local communities and economies, and that the business is operated ethically and in a socially and environmentally responsible manner.
Stormsriver Adventures was one of the 1st accredited activity companies in 2003. The following principles are adhered to:
- Fair Share – Fair distribution of the benefits the company makes.
- Respect – For religion, sex and other beliefs.
- Fairsay – All involved in decision making which affects them.
- Transparency – Company’s policies and financials are open to employees.
- Reliability – Services rendered is reliable and of high standard.
- Sustainability – Must be able to survive in the long term as a business.
FFT grow awareness about responsible tourism in Africa and assist tourism business to operate more sustainably through their membership and certification programmes.
Stormsriver Adventures received two awards at the 79th Skål World Congress during the Skål International Sustainable Tourism Awards 2018 in Kenya, Mobasa