Our Social Responsibility Program
1. DECISION MAKING CRITERIA
Stormsriver Adventures has formed a non profit organization, NPO number 077-407-NPO, this is already established comprising of 2 community representatives and 2 company representatives to establish priority projects within the community of Stormsriver.
The Stormsriver Adventures Community Projects (SRACP) initiative has been in operation for a number of years on an informal basis in the village of Storms River, a very impoverished rural village. To date the projects have been totally funded by Stormsriver Adventures.
To view our NPO certificate click here.
For any contributions or donations please feel free to contact us.
The major criteria identified are:
- Children – Welfare (feeding scheme)
- HIV AIDS – support and excursions
- Elderly – clothing distribution
- Poorest of the poor – clothing distribution
- Job creation for unemployed youth. – Skills development. Based on the 5 areas priorities are defined as to which projects we can afford to initiate and support.
Respected community representatives provide valuable input ensuring that the projects supported are priority needs within the local community of Stormsriver.
2. CORPORATE SOCIAL INVESTMENT INITIATIVES
Job creation and skills development
Skills development and job creation initiatives have led to introducing the Stormsriver community to the Eco Adventure Tourism industry since inception of the company in 1998.
School feeding scheme
800 community members have been trained since 1998 at a direct cost of R3 million to the company over the past 10 years.
Animal education and welfare programme
- 220 Primary school children are provided with a meal 4 times a week.
- The annual cost to the company is close to R100 000 per annum.
- The programme has been running since 2003.
- This initiative is particularly aimed at the children with the prime objective of creating self worth and caring.
- The programme involves dipping, mange treatment, sterilization campaigns animal trauma treatment and an Inoculation Programme.
- 500kg of pet food is distributed monthly to the unemployed families as a part of the pet care initiative.
- The positive impact has been significant by way of teaching children responsibility and has translated into a more caring community.
- The annual direct cost to the company is R167 000 per annum.
3. HIV AIDS Education and Awareness
The Company launched an aggressive committed campaign in 2006 to tackle the enormous challenge of HIV and Aids. This campaign includes the following:
- A documented HIV/Aids Policy.
- A documented TB Policy.
- Appointment of an Aids Counselor
- Monthly Educational Workshops are held with Staff which include discussions forums, talks by HIV positive Community members, use of literature and audiovisual material.
- The formation of the ‘We Care’ Movement, comprising of Staff members who undertake Outreach Programmes into the Community to educate and dispel the stigma attached to Aids.
- The use of ‘I know’ badges to encourage voluntary testing.
- Assisting the local Primary School with education and awareness.
- Capacitation of the Aids Counselor by way of Courses fully sponsored by the Company.
Stormsriver Adventures has recently started an NPO to further these projects, please see below more information on Stormsriver Adventure Community Projects.
Please feel free to contact us should you want to donate towards these projects.
The primary objective of the organisation is to help lift the community out of abject poverty and to help them regain pride and become self-sufficient. To achieve this the charity has in the past, and will continue to be, involved in the following main activities:
- The provision of food for a school feeding scheme in terms of which each child in the school is provided with one proper meal a day. The aim of this aspect of the charitable work is to help uplift scholars academic achievement.
- Supporting HIVIAIDS education in the community and in the school by providing support and resources to an AIDS counselor.
- Mentoring and active support for the establishment and continued success of micro enterprises.
- Teaching the community, mainly children, basic life skills through the animal welfare educational program. Using animals as a tangible means to enhance responsibility, self esteem and self-worth amongst the community.
- Providing support to organizations involved in improving education and health standards in the village.
- Supporting and sponsoring of sport development within the community.
Please click here to view the NPO certificate.